Olmstead fields are closed, their coaches are calling you if you are scheduled to play there. Our fields are OPEN, however, discuss field conditions with the opposing coach when you arrive. If you feel it is unsafe to play, do not do so.
Games will not be rescheduled by SOLD, if you would like to reschedule with your opposing coach, please feel free to do so. I’ll be happy to work with you on field availability… assuming they are not covered in snow.
Usually, about this time, we’re headed into the last week of the season. This year, we still have two to go after this weekend.
The plan remains to play this weekend as scheduled despite the rain and cold. Please plan accordingly and dress the kids with the following notes in mind:
-Sock hats ARE permitted, however, they must be tight-fitting and NOT have any “dangles” like a snowboarder would wear or ear flaps with a tie for around the chin.
-Pants are permitted but must be worn UNDER jersey shorts and OVER shin guards/socks.
-Gloves are permitted, as with hats, they should be tight-fitting and NOT have straps or hooks that hang freely and can get caught on another player.
-Hooded sweatshirts should be avoided, however, if they are worn, the hood MUST be tucked inside the jersey shirt.
-Jackets, or other items that may have a zipper, can be worn on the sidelines but must be removed prior to going on the field.
Games are on for this weekend. If you have a game scheduled for Greenfield #8, they have been moved to #5. Game times remain unchanged.
… and here we go again. After consulting with LD and Olmstead, we don’t have enough playable fields to host games tomorrow. Games are being rescheduled for November 12th. This is the last possible weekend for play in the season. Should another weekend be washed out, it will have to be outright cancelled. It’s just started raining again and there are several more showers that look like they are headed this way overnight which means the couple of fields that are only partially soaked as of an hour ago are likely to be under water by morning – despite the forecast for sunny skies.
None of us have ever had to deal with weather quite like this affecting the soccer season, thanks to everyone for your flexibility and understanding as we try to get the kids out there as much as possible.
Our U6 program will play as scheduled on Sunday.
Several important things came out of last night’s meeting. Below is a rundown of discussion that took place.
Trophies - the Board voted unanimously to raise the approved spending to $7 per child ($6 in previous years). Additionally, we are not requiring coaches to get trophies, there are several other items including plaques, pedestals, plates and several other ideas. Billing, as in previous years will be sent directly to the club. Coaches, please visit Youth Sports Photo’s site (http://www.yspi.com/trophy.htm) for more information on what is available. There is a form to fill out online with your interest or you can call their office at any time. Please get your order in soon so that you have them before the end of the season. (This is for ALL coaches from U6-U12).
Festival - it’s already been mentioned, but it’s worth a reminder – due to reschedules and weather-related factors, there will be no Fall Festival at the end of the season this year. This was a difficult decision amongs the SOLD members and we looked at many alternative options to try and make something happen, however, it just wasn’t meant to be this year.
Left-over Long Sleeve Shirts - We have a limited number of long-sleeve shirts left over. These are the same shirts given to coaches, volunteers and kids for the season. They are all black with the white SYSA logo on them. As a means of not having to store them, we’re offering them to friends and family AT COST. Below is a list of sizes available and how many there are as of this writing. Cost is $6.50 per shirt, please email email@example.com if you are interested. Shirts will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
Sizes – # available:
Youth Small – 3
Adult Small – 1
Adult Large – 6
Adult XLarge – 10
Team Parties - With the loss of the Festival for this year, as well as our current positive financial situation as a Club, we’re happy to have unanimously approved contributing $30 per team towards an end-of-season party for each team. There are several local places that make a great party location including (but not limited to) Your Place Restaurant, Pizza Delight, and many others. This doesn’t have to be pizza, and it’s not mandatory that coaches organize a party for their team, however, it makes a great venue for handing out those trophies mentioned above. Michelle will be cutting a check to each coach and we’ll get them distributed to coaches at games and/or practices before the end of the season.
The monthly Board meeting will take place this Thursday, October 13th at 7:30PM at the Swatara Township Administration Building.
I have uploaded a single PDF of the rest of the season. Changed games are highlighted in RED. Please note that week 3 games are SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23rd. Please notify your parents of changes as soon as possible. I realize that the games step on many church services and we wanted to avoid this if possible, however, it was either shorten the season and only have 7 weeks of games or double up a weekend.
Not that I want to jinx it, but it looks like we finally have a few days, including this weekend of good weather. The fields are drying out and hopefully it stays this way for the rest of the season. All necessary game moves and time changes have been completed and are headed to coaches.
Good news! Games are on for tomorrow and Sunday! If you have not already heard from me by phone, you are playing as scheduled. We had to move a couple of games from LD’s Braeburn field to the afternoon at our fields due to – you guessed it – flooding.
We’ll get this season finished… honest, we really will…
All fields are open as of 2PM Thursday. There are some stray showers in the area this afternoon and Vanatta is very close to being unplayable. Please use your best judgement should we get much more in the way of rain today.