Just a few quick notes on current status of the Fall 2013 season:
- Registration – we still have a few open slots at each age group so get your kids signed up as soon as possible
- Rosters – we’re currently finalizing rosters and they will be distributed to coaches in the next few days. Parents, you should begin hearing from coaches later this week.
- Practice Schedule – we hope to have this finalized by the end of the week. practices start up the week of August 4th.
- Coaches Meeting – scheduled for August 1st at 7PM at the Swatara Township Administration Building, more details to be sent to coaches soon
- Coaches Clinic – details are being finalized, planned for Saturday morning, July 27th (this coming weekend)
- Field Setup – as with previous seasons, we’d like to coordinate this with the Coaches Clinic and take care of as many fields as possible on Saturday morning – more info to follow.
- Game Schedule – while getting the practice season underway, the game schedule is already in the works… currently, we’re trying to work out the best way to handle the bye weeks with a couple of age groups to avoid conflicts and lack of games. Our first games will be the weekend of September 7th-8th.
- Volunteers – we are still on the hunt for a few coaching positions and our Boys and Girls Directors will be reaching out to parents individually in hopes of hilling these slots.
- U6 Coed Program – since this program does not have a formal practice season during the month of August, information on rosters and game schedules will not be available until mid-to-late August.
The monthly Board meeting for July will take place this coming Thursday, July 11th at 7:30PM at the Swatara Township Administration Building.
We have received many Risk Management applications for coaches and assistants this year, thank you in advance for your willingness to help out! If you’re interested in lending a hand as a head or assistant coach (you don’t have to be Pele to do it!), please make sure you fill out the virtual paperwork necessary for us to be able to place you with a team. The link is on the Online Registration page to the right.
We are now in wait list mode on the registration system. This means that we are still accepting registrations, however, your child is not guaranteed a position on a team. Very rarely do we turn kids away, but it’s necessary to take this step so that we can begin the process of forming teams and ordering uniforms and other equipment. As of this morning, we still have a few slots at each age group.
Please don’t wait until the last minute. Regular registration closes at the end of the month. After that time, your child is not guaranteed a spot on a team.
The monthly Board meeting for June will be held this Thursday, June 13th at the Swatara Township Administration Building at 7:30 pm.
Walk-in registration will be held from 9AM to 12PM tomorrow (Saturday), May 11th at the Swatara Township Administration Building.
At last night’s meeting, it was discussed that some schools had not yet sent the flyers home, we are evaluating the option of holding a second open registration date in June. Walk-in registration can also be completed at the June Board Meeting (2nd Thursday, 7:30PM).
Below is a copy of a memo released by EPYSA yesterday concerning new policies in place and discussed a couple of months ago in the the meeting notes.
To: Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Affiliates
From: Chris Branscome, Chief Executive Officer
Date: May 8, 2013
RE: Risk Management and Background Checks
In January, the Board of Directors approved an amendment to the risk management policy making background checks mandatory for everyone 18 years old and older who will come in contact with children. The original policy, drafted in 1996 as part of the national Kidsafe program mandated each individual to submit a volunteer disclosure statement. As per the 1996 policy, each member and affiliate is required to be in full compliance. This was originally a hard copy document that evolved into our current on-line system of “risk management.” The current process of completing the disclosure statement remains in place. The background checks will then be administered by the state office.
The fee was discussed and approved at the Annual General Meeting in March and the final copy of the policy document was reviewed by the board this past Monday. The reason for this process needs no further explanation given the climate we live in, however, I am pleased to report that we are able to provide this service at a rate far below what our neighboring associations or what other services can provide. Please review the policy which can be found on the website; www.epysa.org.
The important thing to notice here is that everyone must comply. Regardless of age group, gender, travel or intramural, board member or team manager, etc…volunteer or compensated, if you come in contact with the children, you need to complete the process. It is a privilege to work with children and our collective responsibility to do our best to ensure their safety.
For additional information, please visit the website or contact Membership Services Manager, Beck Kleinert.
Thank you for your continued cooperation and support of our 130,000 children playing soccer in Eastern Pennsylvania.
The May monthly Board meeting will take place this Thursday, May 9th at the Swatara Township Administration Building beginning at 7:30 PM.
If you would like to register in person rather than online, this meeting as week as the June meeting are the two alternate times if you are unable to make it to walk-in registration on May 11th.
SYSA is pleased to announce the details for our annual Summer Camp. The camp takes place the week of July 22nd at Vanatta Park. Several programs are available for different age groups. See our Summer Camp page for more information.